Clarity Recruitment Menu


General work visa (UK)

If you are a non EU citizen and have been offered a skilled job in the UK, you will need to apply for a visa.

To do this, you will need to be employed by a licensed sponsor who will confirm that you can perform the work for which you were hired.

You can start the visa application 3 months before you’re due to start work in the UK.

After getting the Tier 2 (General) visa you can stay in the UK for a maximum of 5 years.

With the visa you are allowed to work for your sponsor, do a second job in certain circumstances, do voluntary work, study, travel abroad and return to the UK and bring family members with you. However, you cannot own more than 10% of your sponsor’s shares, get public funds, apply for a second job until you’ve started working for your sponsor.

To be eligible, you need to:

  • have a valid certificate of sponsorship for your job
  • show you’re being paid an appropriate salary for your job (at least £30,000 per year)
  • prove your knowledge of the English language
  • have personal savings so you can support yourself when you arrive in the UK (£945 for 90 days before you apply)
  • show you can travel and your travel history over the last 5 years
  • have tuberculosis test results if you’re from a listed country
  • provide a criminal record certificate (if you work in education, healthcare, social services)

Read everything you need to know at the UK Government website here.

Posted on 06 November 2019
Share This Article